Your wedding day will be here faster than you can say “I do,” and while you have probably already chosen the perfect venue, a photographer to capture your most precious moments, and a wedding dress that is sure to make your groom’s heart skip a beat, you may have overlooked one important tradition.
“Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a silver sixpence in her shoe,” are tokens of good luck for the bride to carry on her wedding day. Originating from a charming Victorian rhyme, these small personal treasures are typically unique to each bride and rarely obvious to anyone but those who know and love her most.
It is believed that if the bride carries all of the five things on her wedding day, her marriage will be long lasting and happy:
- Something Old represents continuity with the bride's family and the past;
- Something New means optimism and hope for the future;
- Something Borrowed symbolizes “borrowed happiness” and it is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride;
- Something Blue stands for purity, love, and fidelity. Blue has beenconnected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true";
- And finally, a Silver Sixpence in the bride's shoe represents a wish for good fortune and prosperity (although this remains largely a British custom). A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967 which proves the tradition comes from the English, and many sources say it began in the Victorian era. It is said that for optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings.
Now that you know the meaning behind the poem, it’s time to start collecting items for your own wedding!
Celebrate your love in exquisite style that reflects your personality!