Sunday, September 9, 2012

Crab and Pearls

http://www.adorabysimona.com

Crab and Pearls

About a month ago a good friend of mine asked if I could donate for a worthy cause one of the jewelry pieces I created.  I get asked that a lot and I never say “no”.  I always create something new and specific for every fundraiser I participate in, trying to match the theme of the event as best as I can.  This time, the theme was “Crab Grab”, an all-you-can-eat crab event organized by the Monterey Peninsula Sunrise Rotary Club in an effort to raise money for the "Helping Hands" Project, with a mission to create cash grants for Monterey Peninsula Unified School District teachers who need help funding a good educational idea.

5580

I seldom attend the events I donate my jewelry for, but this time I got an invitation and there I went.  As soon as I walked in, among countless other donated items, I could see my creation displayed exactly the way I wanted it to be, on a black velvet stand, with the description card I provided right beside it.  If I could say so myself, it looked very beautiful. To go with the ocean theme, I put together natural aquamarine teardrop beads, freshwater pearls and sterling silver to create a beautiful necklace and earrings set.

5578

To my pleasant surprise, all throughout the evening people bid on it, and when the silent auction was over I learned that it sold for a pretty nice sum.  After the event I had the pleasure of meeting the very classy lady that placed the winning bid.  I introduced myself and thanked her for buying the set and thus helping the cause.  With a very big smile she said:  “Oh, I am very happy to be the lucky winner.  Not only that I made a modest contribution to help children get a better education, but I also got a beautiful jewelry set for myself”.

5579

So at the end of the evening everybody was happy:  The organizers reached their goal of making the local schools a better learning experience, the attendees had a fun evening complete with a gourmet crab dinner and exquisite wines provided by local wineries, almost everybody walked home with something that they bid on, the classy lady got the jewelry that she loved, and I could see my goodwill in action.  It is very fulfilling to know that the funds raised that night will help children expand their horizons and achieve higher goals, and that through my modest contribution I was given the chance to be a part (small as it was) of that.  Congratulations to the Monterey Peninsula Sunrise Rotary Club on an event well organized!

And to end the evening on an even better note, my husband and I bid on and won a one-night stay at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa located on the historical Cannery Row of John Steinbeck fame.  But that will be the subject of a future blog when I will be telling you the story of how and when I first got acquainted with Cannery Row.   

If you wish to learn more about the Helping Hand Project, go to http://projecthelpinghandrotary.org/.

http://www.adorabysimona.com

No comments:

Post a Comment